Saturday, October 1, 2011

Louise Bourgeois, Tracey Emin: Do Not Abandon Me

I recently went to the Louise Bourgeois & Tracey Emin exhibition at the Royal West of England Academy in Bristol.

I'm not a huge fan of Tracey Emin, but I have to say I found this work very interesting.  The joint collection of 16 drawings explores themes of identity, sexuality and the fear of loss and abandonment.

What I found even more intriguing is that Louise Bourgeois created the initial prints by painting male and female torsos in profile and mixing red, blue and black gouache pigments with water to create delicate silhouettes.  She then handed them to Tracey Emin who eventually added to the work.

It appears that Tracey Emin was initially too scared to touch the prints as she state that "I carried the images around the world with me from Australia to France." Emin used fantasy to draw smaller figures engaged with the torsos and also added writing to the prints.

I came away with a profound sense of loneliness after reading one of the prints.  It was a print with a considerable amount of writing on the torso a pregnant woman.  The writing was expressing the emotions of the child and it made me feel very sad.

On an emotional level, definitely an exhibition worth seeing.


Louise Bourgoise & Tracey Emin
From the exhibition
"Do Not Abandon Me"



No comments:

Post a Comment