Friday, March 4, 2011

Drawings by R J Lloyd

When I am in Wells, I often visit the Oxfam shop in town.  It has a great selection of second hand books.  I found a book called "What is the Truth?" by Ted Hughes, which was a winner of the Guardian Children's Fiction Award and the Signal Poetry Award.  The original cover price was £4.95, however, I was so taken by the illustrations in the book, that I paid the asking price of £9.99.  (All in a good cause!)

What is the Truth? by Ted Hughes

There are 116 illustrations in this book - each one brilliant in its composition and drawing skills.  All of the drawings are in black and white and feature animals from a farm and the wild.

This is a beautiful book and the poems within the story are pure enchantment.

"There's something eerie about a hare, no matter how stringy and old.
I heard of a hare caught in a snowdrift, brought in under a coat from the cold
Turned by firelight into a tall fine woman who many a strange tale told.
The hare has a powerful whiff with her, even when she's a pet.
Her back as broad and strong as a dog, and her kick like a bull-calf, yet
Into your dreams she waltzes strung with starlight and music, a marionette."





Illustrations by R J Lloyd - for What is the Truth? 

I love black and white drawings, for me they have a simplicity which  belies the skill and effort that goes into producing them. These illustrations are rich in life and atmosphere.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful find, they are beautiful drawings - and love the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eliza,
    Thanks so much for the comment on my blog! I'm glad you like my experiments with the ink pen.
    I'm quite jealous of this book you've found - the drawing look fabulous. Thanks for sharing!
    Lucy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer & Lucy, glad you liked the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,
    I had to say, what a fantastic find! Ted Hughes is one of my favourite writers but I've never seen this book, the illustrations are just wonderful! I wonder if theres another one out there somewhere...
    I've just found your blog - I was totally drawn in by your wonderful title and just had to have a look! I'm glad I did...
    Carrie.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks For the lovely post ... I'm glad you stopped by. There is a thriving second hand book Market in the UK. First stop is Amazon as they are all on "marketplace". Happy hunting

    ReplyDelete