Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Daily Sketchbook


There are many interesting things in my home which go unnoticed, or perhaps, taken for granted.  I've rekindled my desire to draw and have set myself a new goal ... 3 sketches a week.  I know I have entitled this post Daily Sketchbook, but I am realistic of the demands on my time and if I can achieve a sketch each day, that would be great, but if not, I'll still feel I am progressing if I achieve 3.

We have an old Victorian ink pot that sits on our kitchen windowsill.  It was discovered when we dug the trenches for our house on a plot of land that was once a garden.  The inscription reads "J G Hawley, Bristol", James George Hawley was born in Staffordshire in 1826 and was a potter by trade.  In 1875 he is described as a redware manufacturer at Temple Backs (he had taken over William Hutchings pottery by 1873).  In 1883 the pottery is listed as the Temple Stoneware Pottery, with a claim that it was founded in 1802.  This business continued until 1901.   

I wonder what stories this ink pot could tell....



No comments:

Post a Comment